1917 the members of the Wairarapa Patriotic Association recognised a
need for social facilities for soldiers returning from WW1. The
eventual provision of the facility was due mainly to the enthusiasm of
Masterton philanthropist Arthur Whatman who not only promoted
project to the public but also donated £4000 to the cost of
building the clubrooms.
committee to raise funds for the project, headed by Whatman, was formed
in 1917 and a public meeting called in early 1918. The
Soldiers Club was eventually constituted in June 1918 and the clubrooms
officially opened in August of that year. Although usually known as the Soldiers Club,
the building originally offered accommodation for
'out of town' members and was officially called the Wairarapa Soldiers
- August 1918
1965, in recognition of the changed makeup of the membership, the name
was changed to the Wairarapa Services Club and in the 1980's widened
again to include '& Citizens' in the title.
Club has continued to act as a social club for it's members and today
includes provision for darts, indoor bowls and cue sports as well as a
well-stocked bar, modern gaming lounge and restaurant with indoor and
outdoor dining facilities. The Whatman Room, a modern function / meeting complex, has been built and the Wairarapa Services
Citizens Club is now operating in one of the best equipped Chartered
Club venues in the Wairarapa.
The Club in the 1930's
- Thanks to Wairarapa Archive for the pictures